Termites have been terrorizing man for centuries. They are responsible for millions of dollars a year in damages. There are a few categories of termites; damp-wood termites, dry-wood termites and subterranean termites. The subterranean termites are the most commonly found termite throughout Oklahoma. Termites are especially attracted to the commonly used Douglas firs and other building materials frequently used in Oklahoma commercial buildings and residential homes.
Pied Piper Services expound on the subterranean termites raining destruction on the good people of Oklahoma.
– Termites consume the interior of wood. They prefer to devour the softer areas of wood, and will sometimes skip over hardwood in lieu of the softer wood. However, they will eat hardwood if necessary. The infested timber that is left behind is a thin shell honey-comb like layers of hollow sections packed with damp soil. Subterranean termites thrive in darkness and moist environments. It is estimated that one in every five homes will be infested by subterranean termites throughout the highly populated areas.
– Termites are subject to a queen, who mates with a king to produce the 2,000 fertile eggs a day she lays. Eggs are hatched cycling them to nymphs, then they cycle to workers, soldiers or swarmers. Swarmers have wings to move on and start new colonies. The young king and queens drop their wings when they find a new nest to start their own colonies. Swarmers are typically active in the spring, but every now and then some can be spotted in the summer.
– The worker termites keep the network in full swing. They are soft bodied, and are creamy and translucent in color. They complete all the work in extending the nests with new tunnels or making repairs, foraging for food, grooming each other, feeding soldiers, king and queen, and carrying the nymphs until they reach maturity.
– Soldiers are the defenders of the colony, generally fighting a 250 million year old feud with ants. They are orange in color and have developed a hard shell helmet around their heads, and are armed with mandibulate pincers they use to fight off ants. They emit a sticky latex resin to ensnare their enemies, and then use their pincers to crush the ants. Typically, the soldiers will only be seen when a breach to the nest has been made, and the worker termites are working their repairs.
– Subterranean termites usually gain entry into homes or businesses through dampened soil that comes into contact with a building. Once they infest your home or business, they usually can go unnoticed for a time. After a while though, they construct mud tubes to reach higher levels of food. These mud tubes can be quite noticeable.
– These mud tubes, damaged wood and piled wings are often common signs of termite infestations. If the termite infestations grow, the damage can be catastrophic. If you suspect termites in your home or business, or heard of nearby outbreak, you will want to call in a professional.
Termite Pest Inspections, Prevention, Control & Removal in Cushing, Muskogee, Tahlequah, Okmulgee, Wilburton, Eufaula, McAlester, Broken Arrow, Glenpool & Tulsa OK
Pied Piper Services provides many pest control services, including dealing with termites. Our professionals are expertly trained, and we have the experience, exclusive top grade equipment, tools and products to eradicate termites. Call us today!